Beach Institute

The Beach Institute was established in 1865 by the Freedmen's Bureau and funded by the American Missionary Association to educate newly freed African-Americans in Savannah. It was named in honor of the editor of the Scientific American, Alfred S. Beach for his philanthropic contributions to the site. There were originally six-hundred students that enrolled.

By 1874, the institute became the responsibility of the Savannah Board of Education and was turned into a free school for black children. The school was caught in a fire in 1878 which made it unusable and the American Missionary Association resumed the operation of the school with higher instructional goals than the Savannah Board of Education had previously provided. By the late 1910's, the Boys Club was using the Beach Institute for many projects. The institute was closed in 1919 due to the openings of other schools.

Today, it is a place to exhibit arts and crafts that have an African-American focus including some by Ulysses Davis, a renowned folk artist. It is also home to the offices of the King-Tisdell Cottage Foundation.

502 E. Harris Street
Savannah, Ga

(912) 234-8000