Jepson Center for the Arts
The Telfair Museum of Art opened a new 64,000-sq. ft., state-of-the-art building to the public in March 2006, ushering in an exciting new era for the “oldest public art museum in the South”. The new building, the Jepson Center for the Arts, is the first expansion in the Telfair’s 119-year history. Architect Moshe Safdie Designed The Jepson Center as a “Destination of Distinction” in Savannah’s Historic District.
Location: Telfair Square
The Lowcountry Estuarium promotes conservation and preservation of the Lowcountry’s marshes, creeks, rivers, and sounds by providing educational and recreational experiences to residents and visitors. The Lowcountry Estuarium Board formed in the summer of 2000. A few Beaufortonians met and shared their common interest of having an Aquarium in Beaufort that was large enough to accommodate multiple groups of school children and visitors to the Lowcountry, at one time.
Location: 1402 Paris Avenue, Port Royal, SC
Phone: (843) 524-6600
New Ebenezer Retreats
Ebenezer ALIVE! is offered from September through May, with school groups choosing either a Monday through Wednesday or Wednesday through Friday timeframe for the 48-hour-long course, with beginning and ending sessions at midday lunch. Each attending group will supply funding, reservations, and transportation. While program facilitators guide learners through activities in the setting, participation and supervision from parent volunteers and regular classroom teachers is required.
Location: 2887 Ebenezer Road, Rincon, GA
Phone: (912) 754-9242
Outland Education Center
Oatland Island Education Center is a unit of the Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools, and the premier environmental education center in the southeast. Located just east of Savannah on a marsh island, the Center features a 2 mile “Native Animal Nature Trail” that winds through maritime forest, salt marsh, and freshwater wetlands. Visitors can observe native animals such as Florida panthers, Eastern timber wolves, alligators, and many more in their natural habitat.
Location: 711 Sandtown Road
Phone: (912) 898-3980
Andrew Low House
Built in 1848 for cotton merchant Andrew Low. The classically designed Andrew Low House sits on the southwest trust lot on Lafayette Square, former site of the old jail. In 1847, the wealthy cotton factor Andrew Low chose John Norris to design a house on the lot for his family. Norris was an architect whom the historic Savannah’s leading citizens turned to for the design of their residences and business establishments. Architects William Jay, Charles B. Cluskey, and Norris formed a triumvirate of distinguished architects that designed the magnificent homes for well to do 19th century Savannahians that tourists from all over the world come to visit today.
Location: 329 Abercorn Street
Phone: (912) 233-6854
Located on the southern edge of Savannah’s historic district, the Armstrong Mansion was the last of the great homes that had been built in the downtown area. It stood at the head of Bull Street, between the historic squares of downtown Savannah to the north and the green expanse of Forsyth Park to the south. Located at the corner of Bull and Gaston Streets.
Battlefield Park commemorates the area where General Casimir Pulaski and American patriot, Sergeant William Jasper both fell in battle while assaulting British Defenses not far from this monument located on Martin Luther King Blvd. Hard fought skirmishes ranged over this hallowed ground, fought by the soldiers of America and of France against the British. The battle was fought on October 9, 1779, one of the bloodiest battles of the Revolution when Savannah, which had been in British possession for several months, was attacked by the combined American and French forces.
Location: MLK Boulevard
Calhoun Square was laid out in 1851, one of the latter squares in the historic district to be built. This shady square was named for the South Carolina statesman and southern-rights firebrand John C. Calhoun. Located across from the square is Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church, whose congregation organized in 1875.
Chatham County Courthouse
In 1764, Peter Tondee and Joseph Dunlap were commissioned to build the colonial courthouse in Savannah. The courthouse was finally completed in 1773. At the onset of the American Revolution, the loyalists had to abandon the courthouse which became the first courthouse for Chatham County. In the fall of 1830, the old brick courthouse was torn down and a new building was begun on this site. The new building was completed in May of 1832. The existing courthouse was built in the 1970’s.
Location: 133 Montgomery Street
Phone: (912) 652-7175
Chatham Square is the westernmost square on the last line of squares in the historic district. This lovely garden square surrounded by Victorian era townhouses and Savannah College of Art and Design (Barnard Street School) was built in 1847. In 1851 Chatham Square was named in honor of William Pitt, The Earl of Chatham. The county that Savannah resides in, Chatham County, also shares the same name as Chatham Square.
Chippewa Square was so named to honor the distant Canadian battlefield where Americans fought against the British in 1814 during the War of 1812. A handsome bronze figure by Daniel Chester French, the sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial, immortalizes General James Edward Oglethorpe, who looms over the square.
Christ Episcopal Church
When the city of Savannah was first laid out, the present site, on Johnson square was designated for a church. Oglethorpe had been instructed by the Governors to “lay out a site for the church,” with a parsonage lot and a “burying ground” as well as a church. In 1758, the cemetery now known as Colonial Park Cemetery was vested in Christ Church and remained in use until 1853. It was transferred to the city in 1895. Methodist Founder and famed early Savannahian, Reverend John Wesley assumed charge of this congregation in 1736 while living here.
Location: 28 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 232-4131
The City Hall of Savannah is one of the more magnificent structures in Savannah. It is located on Yamacraw Bluff at the Savannah River. The current building demonstrates a Renaissance Revival style and was designed and built by local architect Hyman Wallace Witcover in 1901. The original cost estimate of $205,167 included ornate statues of chariots and horses atop the structure. This structure replicated the old City Exchange (built circa 1799) building which had housed City government for many years.
Location: Bull and Bay Streets
The face of Savannah’s historic City Market has seen many changes over the years. It all began in 1755, when farmers and fishermen brought to market such wares as scuppernongs, pigeon peas and fresh seafood of every description. The first two Market buildings were destroyed by fire in 1788 and 1820. A third was torn down after being used as a dressing station during the Siege of Savannah in the Civil War. Space was at a premium in the 1950’s and developers removed the market and built a parking lot amid much outcry with history lovers.
Phone: (912) 232-4903